Thursday 17 February 2011

Going on 30 and still Boringly single (Sigh!)


1.       Get into the university at 16
2.        Graduate with a 2.1
3.        Be done with NYSC by 22
4.        get a great paying job immediately
5.        Get married at 25…
My to -do list is actually much longer than this; and I would love to go on and on, except that I’m stuck at number 4-not that I even got a great paying job  neither was it immediate.  Strike actions slowed me down on number 3 so I was done at 24 instead; number 4 didn’t happen until a year and 9 months later-long enough for an elephant to be delivered of a premature baby elephant or whatever premature baby elephants are called. Number 2 NEVER happened! (And no my lecturer didn’t hit on me! I just hated the course!)
And number 5?
Well, I turned 29 last year; and guess what? I’m as single as a lone polar bear on the North Pole. Last week my mother arranged a prayer meeting for me. The pastor prayed that the demons of late marriage should die! Die! Die!
I’m thinking they should have had the foresight to start praying when I was 23-that would have been notice enough for the demons wouldn’t it?
Anyway, I’m 29 and single and desperate. I try not to show my desperation though…which is why I signed up as a volunteer at The green hands horticulture society just incase he may be there; I also signed up at a Library, which is weird because I hate reading books but I’m keeping my options open…
I’ve recently started swimming classes at this very popular hotel in town because I may just meet someone under water; maybe I’d save him while he is drowning and we’d fall in love. I also joined a department in Church-I mean, there is nothing like a godly man…I have Chinese every Friday now because he may just be there and I registered for French classes once a week…I may just get myself a white guy…
I must confess I am overwhelmed by all these self imposed activities; add that to my job and what you have left is a stressed out extremely tired woman who must get hooked somehow…(who knows, stress might just make me fall sick and I end up at the hospital and my doctor falls in love with me…)
Still I am hopeful (I think I am. I believe I am; I should be); last week, two of my thirty year old friends got engaged.
That’s late some may say but I console myself with the fact that Jesus started his ministry at 30… (Leave out the fact that He died (humanly speaking that is) at 33; that’s beside the point here).
PS  PS:
Am I searching in the wrong places?

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! funny and well narrated.
    Good job! Your fingers will take you to places.

    More power to your elbow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwh, poor babe, almost laughed out loud at work. Love the piece, but kindly tell her to cool down. Lol, okay cant wait to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good piece.

    ReplyDelete