Monday 28 February 2011

REV MRS ADIE...

My date didn’t go well.
It turns out my date was a 43 year old man who had been a pastor of a community church in Somalia!
I couldn’t believe my aunt would do this to me! (Actually I could)
He went on to tell me my aunt had told him I was 30 going on 31 and so he was certain the age difference wouldn’t be such an issue for me.
I was just recovering from that when he added that my aunt had also told him I was a very active member of my church and was committed to the work of God.
He asked me what exactly I did at church and I said I was with the Children Administration Dept and he shouted Hallelujah outloud in the restaurant and said he thought I’d make a very good mother. At this point, I began running a temperature. I wanted to leave immediately.
He went straight to the point by telling me he was looking for a wife and was certain I was the kind of woman he could settle with. He added that he wasn’t comfortable with my wearing jean trousers but that was something we could work on…
What?!
“Speechless” was the soundtrack that came to mind.
He added that he was relocating to Sudan soon as he felt a calling to these regions and he’d very much love to go with his wife.
I choked on my drink and he thought I looked ill.
I agreed I wasn’t feeling very well and I thought I should go home.
He thought I should stay and eat as sickness was not my portion. He suddenly reached for my hand, squeezed it and muttered a prayer.
Instantly I had visions of me in Sudan; I’m sitting up front while my thin husband with his bespectacled face is preaching. I’m no longer wearing bohemian blouses and skinny jeans. Instead, I’m clad in this free flowing flowered gown. Service ends and people gather around me to see me. They’re all calling me mummy and I’m reaching out to them and blessing them. I announce that the women fellowship would meet at 6:00pm then join my husband in his office…
Vision over, I suddenly got up and announced I really had to leave. He said he would take me home but I said I had come with my car. He said he’d call me to make sure I got home safe. I said thanks.
He walked me to my car and I said thanks. He said bye and I said bye.
I stopped by the nearest MTN outlet and bought a new sim.
I love God but I’m not sure about being a pastor’s wife and certainly NOT that pastor’s wife!

5 comments:

  1. How could your Aunty do that????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! These aunts!

    And the cheek of that man, saying things like he does not like your wearing jeans and y'all will move to Sudan when you had not even agreed to a 2nd date much less marriage.

    Your reaction was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, thanks to my Pastor's jokes on the pulpit, there's a certain fear in me that a few years after I marry my civil engineer husband (actually, petrochemical sounds better), he'll be in the shower one day and the next thing I'll hear is "Yes Lord! I will go! I have been fighting it, but I will answer your call. Somalia it is."
    It's not funny, and I love God too. I feel your pain girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Racing Stones,Thanks for dropping by; I am glad you feel me; I'd need nothing short of angel Gabriel to come announce to me that I am to be a Pastor's wife!lol. You take care and do drop by again. will post soon.

    ReplyDelete